Arbor Folkdancers are non-profit, education-oriented, and dedicated to the enjoyment of international folk dancing and to the appreciation of other cultures through their dance.
On special occasions, we dance to the live music of The Ethnic Connection or Veselba.
At other times, we dance to recorded music drawn from the extensive collections of group members.
Normally the third Saturday of the month ---
- Saturday, January 21, 2017 - recorded music hosted by Russ Ericksen, 7:00 to 10:00 PM.
Teaching first hour, then request dancing and review.
- Saturday, February 21, 2017 - recorded music hosted by Russ Ericksen, 7:00 to 10:00 PM.
Teaching first hour, then request dancing and review.
Above: The Ethnic Connection, November 19, 2005, image by Iris Gruhl
Above and left: images by Daniela Natcheva of our dance with Veselba January 21, 2012; used with permission
Fall kickoff picnic, September 11, 2011.
Images by Iris Gruhl, used with permission.
Rides from the UM campus to Gretchen's can be arranged; contact I. Gruhl (below)
Location unless otherwise specified: The Barn at Gretchen's House, 2625 Traver Blvd., Ann Arbor Directions
Admission charge (to cover expenses):
- Band: $10 - $15 regular, $5 - $8 students (note change)
- Recorded music: $5 regular, $3 students
- Any time: fruit or vegetable snacks and soft drinks are welcome. No nut products are allowed in the facility. Thanks!
Schedule varies; see individual listings above.
No partner, no experience needed! All welcome! Come and enjoy!
More photos by Iris Gruhl of our fall kickoff picnic, September 11, 2011, are available on Flickr.
Dances done recently
Dance lists have been discontinued as of 2015.
For older lists, check here.
- Saturday, January 16, 2016 - live music with Veselba (no list)
- October 17, 2015 - live music with Veselba (no list)
- June 27, 2015 - Old Records Party with David Owens (no list)
- March 14, 2015 - live music by The Ethnic Connection (no list)
- February 21, 2015 - list to come
- December 27, 2014
- December 13, 2014 - holiday dance hosted by David Owens (no list)
- October 11, 2014 - list to come
- October 4, 2014 - live music by Veselba (no list)
- September 13, 2014
- August 16, 2014
- July 19, 2014
- June 14, 2014
- May 31, 2014 - live music by Veselba (no list)
- May 17, 2014
- April 19, 2014 - live music by The Ethnic Connection (no list)
- April 5, 2014
- March 22, 2014
- March 8, 2014 - live music with Veselba (no list)
- February 8, 2014 (no list)
- February 15, 2014 - live music with The Ethnic Connection (no list)
- January 11, 2014
- December 7, 2013 - live music by Veselba (no list)
- November 23, 2013 - Live music by The Ethnic Connection (no list)
- October 26, 2013
- October 5, 2013 - live music by Veselba (no list)
- September 14, 2013
- August 17, 2013
- July 20, 2013
- June 15, 2013
- May 25, 2013
Album of images from previous versions of this web page
More information on European folk dance, folk music, and folklore
Sources of international folk music and folk dance accessories
- International Folk Rhythms, Ltd. Source of folk dance music, videos, folk costume pieces, accessories
- Folk Arts Center of New England's "Little Shop of Horas" - catalog of CDs for sale
- Arhoolie Records - world music along with other genres
- Bourque-Moreau Associés Educational programs, books, recordings and videos
- Smithsonian Global Sound Download international folk music classics for $0.99 per track. Audio samples.
- National Geographic World Music
- Calabash Music World music for sale by download; includes music by Életfa among others
- Dunav, the sharing place for Balkan music & dance Information about many dances; monthly selection of downloadable music.
- Passion Music International folk music on CD, including re-issues of classic recordings
- Audiophile CD Recordings from Around the World "World music," not necessarily traditional
- Jumbie Records More world music
- Greek City Video Greek Music - more traditional/world music
- Crammed Discs, another producer of CDs and DVDs of world music (catalog), among other genres
- Trade Root Music Group - World music, etc.
- Balkan, Greek & West Asian MP3 Library Free downloads, purchase of albums encouraged
- Bob Radcliffe's International Folk Dance Downloadable Music (free) - Radcliffe intends to add music over about 6 weeks starting early July 2007 to bring the total to about 4900 tracks.
- Songs.hu Hungarian music in all genres, for sale by the album or per track
- CD Baby World music, including folk and traditional music (among other genres)
- Zlatne Uste Balkan Brass Band On-line sale of CDs, performance schedule
- Ann Arbor Council for Traditional Music And Dance
- Michigan Dance Heritage
- Old World Dance Club (Ferndale, MI) - on Facebook
- Ethnic Dance Chicago (rich site, many informative links)
- Miami Valley Folk Dancers (MVFD) in Dayton, Ohio
- Columbus Folk Dancers (Ohio)
- Recreational Folk Dancers of Columbus (Ohio)
- Folk and Barn Dancing at Fermilab (St. Charles, IL)
- Evansville International Folk Dancers (Indiana) Includes dance notes, song lyrics
- International Folk Dance Association of University City (St. Louis, MO)
- Folklore Village Farm (Dodgeville, WI; near Madison)
- East European Folklife Center (EEFC)
- International Dance Council (UNESCO) - August, 2006 Circular
- Tamburitza Association of America - supports Balkan folk music and culture, especially tambura music from Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia and Vojvodina
- World Music Folklife Center
- The Society of Folk Dance Historians
The Ann Arbor Folk Dancers is a recreational group and does not permit videotaping at its regular international folk dance evenings, either those with records or those with live music.
We mourn Shawn Donaldson
Click for bio (PDF).
An obituary can be found here.
A memorial for Shawn was held on Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at:
Polonia Restaurant, 2nd floor, 2934 Yemans St., Hamtramck, MI 48212.
The Ann Arbor Folkdancers are grateful to the Department of Physics and Astronomy of The University of Toledo for permission to host this site at this location.
Embroidery motifs from Sárköz taken from Anne Szalavary, Hungarian Folk Designs for Embroiderers and Craftsmen (New York: Dover, 1980)
For more information about the Ann Arbor Folkdancers, contact: Pat Micks, 734-709-8748
To suggest changes and updates to this site, please contact: Nancy Morrison
Page last updated: January 20, 2017